2012-02-07

Dr Hauschka Rhythmic Night Conditioner review

I'm reviewing the original version of Dr Hauschka rhythmic night conditioner (there's also a sensitive version now).
These are sold as boxes of 10 ampules for around 50AUD in Australia  (and probably way cheaper overseas). I think they also come in 30 ampules sizes and cost per ampule would be cheaper obviously. It is recommended to be used as 28 day cycles (i.e. 1 per night for 28 days)- seems awfully expensive doesn't it.

They are little glass ampules like this , with clear liquids inside.


Before I break the ampules I like to tap it so the liquid in the narrow end flows to the bottom. You can see it's actually not a whole lot once the liquid all flows to the bottom.

INGREDIENTS : Water/Aqua, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil (Rose Essential Oil), Althaea Officinalis (Marsh Mallow) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Kalanchoe Daigremontiana Extract,Anthyllis Vulneraria Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Lilium Candidum (White Lily) Bulb Extract, Rosa Damascena (Rose) Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Mica, Royal Jelly, Honey/Mel (Spring Blossom Honey), Silver, Sodium Chloride
I usually put the glass ampule between a towel or at least 2 layers of tissue, then break off the top. Please ALWAYS use some sort of barrier between your skin and the ampule, I used to break it with bare hand and then finally went wrong once and ended up with glass shards everywhere and a bit of blood! Not the best design. However if you pay attention with breaking this (just hold the thick end and thin end under tissue, apply slight pressure and it should snap off easily).


Here's the size of the ampule compared to my hand


Here's the liquid tipped out- due to the nature of the ampule some liquid always gets trapped inside so I lightly tap it on my palm, however again, becareful not to injure yourself since the snapped opening is still sharp. You can see it's actually a decent amount of liquid. Not enough to wet a cotton pad and apply to your face sort of quantity when compared to normal toners, but very plenty when you apply the liquid directly to your face like a serum.


 The liquid smells like rosewater, it's very light, and absorbs into face super quickly. Face is left very very slightly moisturised, no oily residue and no stickyness.

Dr Hauschka's regime does not believe in use of a night cream and believes your skin should be allowed to breathe during the night, and this is the only thing to be applied to the face to regulate the skin after cleansing. I'm a pretty big sceptic with such claims, but I followed the instruction anyway and applied this and went to bed.

(I've used about 15 ampules on and off , never tried the full 28 day cycle but use it when I dont feel like using any night cream or other moisturisers). I usually only use on normal skin days, or summer nights where it's hot but my skin would still like some hydration. (and no it doesn't feel like just applying toner on the skin and nothing else either. so I do believe it's sort of in the category of an extremely fluid and light serum type of product).

The next morning I wake up with calmed skin, less red in general, it does not cure clogged pores or acne or any active peeling, but it is rather calming. (in fact I put this in the same category of Chantecaille Jasmine & Lily healing mask I just reviewed previously, they are both in the 'nice to have, but ok to be without' type of skincare category.)

Overall 4/5. I'd still keep a few ampules around for the days I don't like applying moisturiser or my usual brightening serum type of items and want to give my skin a minimal regime.

No comments: