2011-05-19

Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick Sand 02 review/ swatch

Bobbi Brown foundation stick is a 9.5g twist up stick foundation in a metal tube in the Bobbi Brown signature black packaging. It does attract fingerprint and get scratched pretty easily in the makeup bag.

The product retails for 41USD which is rather steep for 9.5 grams. However as with most stick type of base makeup products they tend to be thicker in texture and a bit stretches a long way.

I'm using shade #02 Sand, which is the 4th lightest color it seems (lightest is 00 Alabaster, 0 Porcelain, 1 Warm Ivory then 02 sand). However on the Bobbi Brown website the swatch seems like #02 sand is lighter than warm ivory?

I do think #02 sand is reasonably light enough. I generally wear the lightest color or 2nd lightest shade from most foundation brands and this would be about equivalent shade compared to other brands.

I got this a while ago, the packaging has changed since, it will no longer say 'essentials' I think.


It is same size as the cream blush stick which I find quite odd. Either the blush contains too much quantity or this contains too little? =P

Here it is- #02 sand is a lightly yellow based tone. Suitable for Asian pale skin tones.

With flash:


With indoor light and no flash:


Here it is on the skin with 1 swipe- you can see how creamy it is- but it's not entirely buttery smooth


Spreaded out- yes it blends right into my skin


Overall the coverage is medium buildable. However I think the biggest problem is the consistency- while it's creamy and soft and spreadable, it slips and slides off the skin very quickly, especially used over face as a foundation. I don't even have oily skin anymore, in fact on most days my skin is on slightly dry side.

It works OK as an undereye concealer, but by no means comparable to my Cle de peau stick concealer. Which leaves this foundation of little use other than portability for touchups (and you can use fingers instead of sponges). It also looks a bit ashy as an undereye concealer, despite being a good color match, like the color sort of sit on top of my dark circles instead of blending into it and diffusing the circle.

It also seems to melt off whatever other makeup I apply on top of this (e.g. pressed powder to set) and after 4 hrs I get really patchy looking foundation face.

Overall 2/5. You are better off buying a good quality stick concealer, or use other proper foundations.

Probably would suit someone with dry skin in good condition with not too much blemishes to cover, then you can just spot dot this and blend quickly and set with powder for a literally 3 minute makeup base. That being said how many of us are blessed with that lucky skin.

No comments: